Sunday, May 18, 2008

The cookie mogul of Angkor Wat

Do you notice that if your Japanese friend visit Siem Reap, he/she maight bring back a cookie with the Angkor Wat shape as a souvernir.

At first i was impressed that businessman in Cambodia (to me, i refer to Cambodian citizen) can come up with that good business idea. But actually it's not. The owner is Japanese; her name is Kojima-san. If you are interested in how Kojima-san run the business, visit the link below. The text is too long for me to read.


"I saw an ad in Japan for a job opening for Japanese in Siem Reap. Back then, all I knew about Cambodia was that Angkor Wat was there. It turned out to be the place that suits me best. While I was teaching Japanese I opened a coffee shop, and the local staff made off with all my equipment. A 1.5 million yen investment, down the drain! But even that couldn't make me dislike the country."

Before her stint as a Japanese teacher, she worked as a tourist guide, taking visitors around the Angkor ruins. "Aren't there any souvenir snacks?" the tourists would ask her. She heard they would buy souvenir chocolates in Bangkok, instead, since they couldn't find any in Cambodia. "What a waste," Kojima thought.



http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200805170064.html


Although it's a business of making money, but i thank her for making this souvernir so foreign tourists who visited Angkor Wat can bring back to their home with Cambodian made stuff, not Thai or Vietnamese products.


Veasna

1 comment:

admin said...

Great story! Grateful we are for what she does. Yet better it would be if we can do it by ourselve.
Sovann